HSE policy and constant improvement of the system for managing health, safety and the environment at Group level are an integral part of Prysmian's values.
In this context, the corporate HSE function coordinates and checks all systems, activities and programmes designed to guarantee the health, safety and well-being of employees, as well as respect for the environment. This function also assists senior management in the analysis and assessment of the HSE Management System, and in the definition of HSE objectives for improvements at Group level. In addition, the HSE function helps local organisations to implement their programmes of improvement and investment, having regard for the specific nature of each manufacturing sector and geographical area.
At the start of 2012, the Environment and Safety Committee (ESC), which represents Prysmian's senior management, established the HSE improvement objectives for 2012-2014 and communicated them internally, involving the HSE functions in each country and at each business unit. The activities and results achieved in 2012 are summarised below.
- Energy efficiency: an objective has been established to calculate, at central level, the Group's emissions of CO2 equivalent, identify the areas for improvement and qualify for participation in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP). The CDP is an international initiative that seeks to pursue the objectives established in the Kyoto Protocol for the reduction of greenhouse gases at a global level.
- Product environmental performance and Life Cycle Assessment: the objective is to establish a working party at corporate level to consider, on a coordinated basis for the Group, the growing requests for information about products and their environmental performance.
- Certification of management systems under ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001
- Reduction of accidents
- Efficient management of materials
- Skills, Training and awareness of HSE matters